* About Us
Imizamo Yethu Fire Disaster: Saturday 7 February 2004
A devastating fire on the night of Saturday, 7th February 2004, caused by a paraffin stove accident, resulted in more than 350 homes being burnt to the ground, leaving more than 3,000 residents without shelter and only the clothes on their bodies. The fire was worsened and fuelled by a strong wind that spread so fast many residents had only time to flee from their homes unable to save valuable personal belongings and property. Emergency services rushed to the scene but could do very little to stop the fire on its path of destruction. Residents had to be accommodated in various community halls around Hout Bay such as Iziko Lobomi where temporary shelter, sleeping place and food were provided.
Residents were not allowed to re-build their temporary structures (shacks) as before. The municipality of Cape Town started at the end of 2004 to build proper roads with the necessary services allowing only permanent homes built of brick to be erected. This work was completed at the beginning of 2005 and many beautiful brick homes are currently being built changing this area so badly affected by this devastating fire, into the pride of Imizamo Yethu.
This selection of photographs shows the devastation caused by the fire and the new homes currently being built on the affected site.
HOUT BAY CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
Hout Bay, Cape Town